Formal Administration

If there is a will AND a named executor, the executor must apply for a grant of probate from the Equity Division of the Supreme Court.

An executor may renounce his/her responsibility, in which case the Court will appoint an administrator who is one of the beneficiaries, or the executor has the right to appoint the relevant state Trustee in their place.

To apply for a grant of probate, the executor, or their solicitor, must file specific documentation that must minimally include:

  • A summons, signed by the executor and their lawyer
  • An affidavit of executor
  • The original will

If no executor is named in the will and there is no eligible family member that wants to assume the role of executor, the court will appoint a Formal Administration to oversee the distribution of assets.  This, in many cases, is the major beneficiary of the will, and they are tasked with fulfilling its terms.

Your solicitor or What do I do? can help you navigate the process of applying for a grant of probate.

Related Posts

It’s time to address your Estate planning ‘Estate Planning’, it’s something that we put off.  Perhaps because we don’t feel like we have an ‘estate‘ or perhaps our ‘estate’ is too complex.  Some have lodged a will 20 years ago, the majority of us still haven’t ever got around to… Read more…

What do I do about Loss of Capacity and your SMSF

A loss of capacity of a person can occur when a person is unable to understand the nature of a document or is unable to communicate a decision. Read more…

The New South Wales Succession Act (“the Succession Act”) and associated regulations allows for an application to be made to the Court for protection of a person who has lost testamentary capacity. Read more…

left out a will what do i do lawyer

The following case study is from a Sydney Law Firm specialising in Will Disputes.   The main points of this case are:- When one parent remarries and leaves the estate to the new spouse. Power of Attorney sells home and buys a new home in his name only. Read more…

Gay relationships in death what do I do

I was in a gay relationship and my partner died. We didn’t have Wills in place and had only been together for 18 months. Read more…

Related listings

Kirkby & Associates Lawyers

02 9874 3800

1 Eden Park Drive, Macquarie Park, NSW, 2113, Australia

9:00-18.00 Mon-Fri

G02, 1 Eden Park Drive
Macquarie Park NSW 2113


Kirkby and Associates Lawyers are specialists in the area of Conveyancing and Wills and Estates. We can assist you with environmental law concerns, the buying and selling of businesses, the leasing and purchasing of commercial premises, employment agreements, partnership agreements and other commercial documents. Read more…

Koolik & Associates Lawyers

07 3482 3333

5 Discovery Drive North Lakes QLD 4509

8:30am - 5:00pm week days - Saturday, Sunday Closed


Confidently seek our professional advice on three broad areas – Family & De Facto Law, Wills & Estates Law and Conveyancing Law. Koolik & Associates Lawyers is a law firm located in the heart of North Lakes, just north of Brisbane. Read more…

JJ Honeyman & Associates


Level 5 / 300 George St Sydney CBD NSW 2000

9:00am - 5:00am week days - Saturday, Sunday Closed


Established in 1973, we are a small, friendly firm centrally located at Wynyard in the CBD and dedicated exclusively to the delivery of prompt and personalised service. Read more…

Duncan Basheer Hannon

1800 324 324

66 Wright St Adelaide CBD SA 5000


Duncan Basheer Hannon is a leading South Australian law firm with offices in Adelaide, Salisbury, Modbury, Elizabeth, Port Adelaide, Marion, Edwardstown, Morphett Vale, Moana, Mt Barker and Woodville. Read more…

The Will and Probate Centre


Suite 9/339 Cambridge Street Wembley Downs WA 6019

Read more…